A Change In Season
It’s September, which means a change of seasons and with that, a change of daily routine. All of this can be fun and exciting, but also overwhelming if your system is not in line with your requirements to get anywhere on time. There is just so much happening that going in & out of the house can sometimes be overwhelming, especially with toddlers in tow. You know who I am talking about- the little people who requires 5,000 things in order to go anywhere?! Ugh, and guess where it all happens…..yup, the mudroom. I have such a love/hate relationship with the mudroom. It can be so beautiful, until the husbands and kids enter to trash it, can I get an amen?! Looks like a perfect time to ReOrg the space and turn it into a clean & bight mudroom!
This brings me to a recent ReOrg Project I completed. This fabulous momma of 3 cuties has a mudroom with amazing space, but with 5 people utilizing it, could easily get overtaken by “stuff” in the blink of an eye. Between 2 parents who lead busy lives balancing it all, plus 2 kiddos in school and a baby, the mudroom had become her arch nemesis. Instead of helping her get out the door quickly and bringing her peace upon entering, it was more like total chaos trying to find shoes and get ready and then upon re entering their home, it was a dumping ground for anything and everything. The problem wasn’t a lack of space, but rather how to best utilize the space she had.
ReOrg Project Goals
The main goal was for them to love walking in & out of their mudroom so we needed to do a a few things:
- Get everything out that was no longer needed in the mudroom;
- Create a wall system to help with homework, mail, family appointments & fun outings;
- Hang a floor length mirror to ensure everyone is dressed appropriately before leaving, lol;
- Fill the empty cubbies above each individual “locker” with bins to help manage the stuff each family member required;
- Change out a useless side table with a sturdy bench so that there was a place to sit and deal with shoes changes; & finally
- Make it more aesthetically pleasing and more their taste.
After the initial walkthrough and talking about what she wanted to change, I made some measurements and started scouring my favorite stores to find the best pieces for her project. We were able to completely re-do this uber important family space into something that didn’t stress them out.
A Clean & Bright Mudroom
I’m obsessed with the way the whole ReOrg Project came together- the galvanized wall organizational system along with a simple rustic wooden floor length mirror really blend the farmhouse style of their house with their modern tastes. Pair that with this hard lined iron & wooden bench along with a modern navy rug and her style really starts to come together! Bonus that the rug can literally be thrown in the washing machine :).
The wire baskets outfitted with chalkboard bin clips fit perfectly into her cubbies and allow them to see whats inside yet still contain the mayhem. The new system helps to keep everyone on the straight & narrow with using their own individual cubbies, instead of throwing items into any cubby that had room!
A well used mudroom who at one time had not much personality, and definitely no organization is revamped into a system that enables them to worry less and enjoy more!
Products & Stores:
– Galvanized Wall System found at Pottery Barn.
– Wooden framed floor length mirror found at Target.
– Navy & White area rug found at Target.
– Iron & wood bench found at Home Goods.
– Rustic Wire baskets found at The Container Store.
– Black Chalkboard bin clips found at The Container Store.
I just love how this ReOrg Project turned out and I am thankful for clients with open ideas and fun spaces to work with! See you all soon for my next ReOrg Project~